The lesson: deputation is not about the money.
Sure, we as missionaries need support. The financial sacrifice of many so you are able to do what God has called you to do is a needed thing in our culture today. I'm not saying to walk away from all thoughts of support. What I am saying is that there are so many lessons to be learned that if we focus on something as simple to God as money, we may miss other blessings that He is wanting us to see.
One statement I have began to use for myself is this, "deputation is not about support. God would have no problem providing all of my needed support tomorrow if He knew I was ready to head to the field!"
As I visit a church, I will usually not even bring up the topic of our support level unless someone asks. 95% of churches and individuals know why missionaries visit them (the other 5% just have no clue we were coming for a visit in the first place!). Some may disagree with this philosophy but I find that it is good for my heart to focus on prayer and relationship. God has placed support on churches and individuals who I would never have thought were interested in our ministry so it is obvious that deputation is not about me!
The challenge is simple. What is our focus on during deputation? We need to focus on what God is teaching us and leave the "simple" tasks like support to HIM.
We need to worry more about what's in our heart than "what's in your wallet"!

No comments:
Post a Comment