Friday, November 30, 2018

I have no idea how to do this!

"I have no idea how to do this!"

Deputation is a beast that (humanly speaking) no man can tame. It looks different for each individual that confronts it and then frequently proceeds to change before their very eyes. There is no "LEGO instruction book" that takes us through it step by step, no training that fits all and one of the most common pieces of advice we hear is a well intended, "keep at it, God will provide". While this is usually coming from those who have gone before us, I does not always feel comforting, especially if we have been fighting the good fight for more than a year!

Again, humanly speaking, deputation seems to be an impossible confrontation with a beast that we have no idea how to vanquish. To put is another way, It feels like we are headed down a dark path in the fog, at night with no map or flashlight. The destination feels like no more that a dream that we may never see in reality.

All this is intended to describe human thought and emotions when facing that challenge of deputation. Thankfully, we are called to this path by God who has promised to finish what He starts in our lives (Philippians 1:6). In a previous post we find a passage that should be a great challenge and encouragement in our present ministry. Let's look at what was said about Proverbs 3:5-6 with a few different perspectives sprinkled in:

TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL THINE HEART [No matter how unrealistic it seems, no matter how lost we feel, we must completely keep our confidence in the one Who called us and Who will supply the support needed] AND LEAN NOT IN THINE OWN UNDERSTANDING [Do not trust in my understanding that can only be frustrated by the process because it has no answer] IN ALL THY WAYS ACKNOWLEDGE HIM [I must Know Him in every situation by staying faithful in communication to Him in prayer and through His Word, asking Him for wisdom (James 1) and seeking to honor Him in all I do] AND HE SHALL DIRECT THY PATHS [If I acknowledge Him, fully rely on Him instead of what I know, He will make my way straight and I will know the next step (Psalm 119:105)]

So here's the idea:
1. Recognize that on my own deputation not only makes little sense but it is impossible.
2. Understand that my heavenly Father has called me into a calling that can only be accomplished with Him
3. Acknowledge Him: The greek work can mean to "find out and discern/know by experience" and to "be made known, be revealed" - I must know Him better personally as well as make him known in all I do.
4. Trust that He will continue to do what He called me to do no matter how impossible it feels.

This is not a magic formula or the ultimate solution to deputation's unknowns but it is a starting point that will refocus us on the truth of what He has called us to. If we faithfully apply these familiar verses every day, God has promised to light up our path (or at least the next step - Ps 119:105!) and tame the beast.

1 comment:

God is my Refuge

 So often a new missionary thinks, "If I can only make it through deputation, things will look better and get easier." While some ...