1. Comfort zone no more!
Deputation is a combination of several things I really never intended on doing but are vital for reaching the ultimate goal of getting support raised and arriving on the field. I have never been good at emailing or writing letters and I hate phone calls. Meeting new people is intimidating when you and your ministry are the focal point of the conversation. Think about Peter. He was in a boat that he felt at home in after all the years of fishing. He understood the sea, recognized dangers, and knew how to get through them. He still stepped out of his comfort zone in order to be close to his master, Jesus. One could say he stepped into the unknown and scary waves and was fine until he took his eyes off Jesus. As scary as deputation is, we can be confident that if God has said "come" like he did to Peter, we will be fine as long as we keep our eyes on Him.
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: - Philippians 1:6
2. Can't look away!
Peter was fine until he took his focus off Jesus and started looking at the waves and his situation, then he began sinking! Deputation often feels like I am walking on some pretty scary waves. If I take my eyes off of the One who made the waves and look at the 40 footers coming my way, I'll sink as well! We need to keep our eye on the goal (preparation for the mission field) and the one who called us to come.
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 3:13-14
3. Waves are scary but God is with us!
When Peter saw the waves around him, he lost his focus and began to sink. Waves can be big and scary! We don't know how high the waves were that caused Peter to stumble but deputation waves often seem to be as high as a house. The fear of the unknown when calling pastors or visiting a church for the first time is a wave the even the best surfers might avoid yet God calls us to walk over it. Financial concerns while choosing to step out and work mostly on deputation is more like a tsunami! We must remember that God has promised to be with us and provide for us as we are faithful to Him. He created the waves we face and He allows them to come in order to make us into the servants He needs us to be to fulfill the calling He has given us.
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. - Matthew 6:33-34
And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. - Matthew 28:18-20
All ended well in this account of Peter. Lesson of faith learned and nobody drowned! As we step out in faith on this sea called deputation, remember that we have many lessons to learn but if we keep our eyes on Jesus, nobody will drown!
No comments:
Post a Comment