Deputation has been likened to "graduate school". This means it is a time when God begins to change and train me so that I become the man that He knows will be needed on the field. This time away from the field in preparation has its ups and downs. Realizing that God wants to change me and make me the man He wants me to be through new and different circumstances is good but often discouraging. They are often the most challenging times. They are when God exposes who I really am and begins to shape me into who I should be. Like a potter shaping his vessel (Jeremiah 18:1-4)
Another challenge in deputation becomes staying focused on the goal: Becoming more like Christ while raising an army of God's people for prayer (and yes, financial) support (as well as being a recruiter for missions!). It's easy to get caught up with the numbers - support %, how many churches visited, the number of update recipients, ministry miles driven, etc. While these numbers are often intriguing and important, they cannot be my focus. I must remember promises like Matthew 6 when God promises to provide all our needs. That includes our financial support! So what am I to do according to this passage? The promise (v.33) is preceded by 3 principles: we cannot serve God and money (v.24), Don't worry about my needs (vv. 25,31), and seek after God (v.33). Focusing on God and what He wants to do in my life and the lives of those I minister to needs to be at the forefront of deputation, God will take care of the rest!
Just like any other ministries for God, deputation has its blessings as well. Spending time in fellowship and worship with God's people all across the country is a priceless experience that few have the privilege to have! Visiting many new sights while travelling is both enjoyable and refreshing. This becomes a time for my family to be together while seeing things like history and God's creation. It is also a time to break away from "ministry mode" and renew family relationships. Seeing God work and provide for my family's different needs (and sometimes even spoiling us!) is a reminder that He is the reason that we move forward knowing that, "he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:" (Philippians 1:6)So after nearly 2 years of deputation, what should my conclusions be?
1. God is using deputation to mold and shape me into the man I should be for His service.
2. Financial support should not be my focus, nor is it an issue for God. He could provide it in full today if He wanted to!
3. My focus on God and what He want's to change in my life should be my first priority.
4. No matter how hard I strive in setting up meetings, sharing the ministry and "doing deputation"(and I need to be working at it!), God will not get us to the field until He knows we are ready!
In short: Stay faithful to God, sensitive to His training and trust that He will supply.
No comments:
Post a Comment